Vanguard Audio Labs V4 Gen2 Multi-Pattern FET Condenser
Vanguard Audio Labs V4 Gen2 Multi-Pattern FET Condenser
Inventory varies by location. Please give us a call to check stock in your preferred location!
Winter Haven: (863) 294-4216
Lakeland: (863) 686-3179
V4 GEN2 MULTI-PATTERN FET CONDENSER
The newest generation of the Vanguard V4 is a large-diaphragm multi-pattern FET condenser microphone exquisitely re-imagined by the Vanguard team. It is designed to be a versatile, reliable, professional recording tool that destroys the usual "bang-for-your-buck" curve. With Vanguard's acclaimed edge-terminated ultra-thin custom-voiced capsule, primo cryogenically-treated componentry, Neutrik interconnects, and the best shockmount in all the land, the V4 is made to be your go-to workhorse microphone at a price that won't break your piggy bank.
CAPSULE & ELECTRONICS
- Custom-voiced, edge-terminated 34mm dual-capsule assembly with 3µm gold-sputtered Mylar diaphragms
- 3 selectable polar patterns - Cardioid, Figure-8, and Omnidirectional
- Switchable-10/-20 dB Attenuator
- Electronically-balanced solid-state circuitry loaded with American-made audiophile-grade components
- Ultra-low-noise JFET design
- Deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of critical signal & power path components
- Neutrik interconnects
- Heavy-duty SUS304 stainless steel, aircraft-grade aluminum, and zinc construction
- Open-weave headbasket for low internal reflections and "open-air" voicing
- Each V4 comes with its own laser-engraved serial number
- Over-spec componentry
- Deep-gloss Pinot Noir finish
- Polished nickel trim
- Precision-cast Vanguard badge
- Final Assembly & 100% Quality Control in California, USA
- 5-Year Manufacturer Warranty
The V4 was designed in the USA, and undergoes final assembly in sunny Southern California. Vanguard performs 100% quality control - every single piece of your microphone kit undergoes a series of stringent audio and visual tests before being hand-packed.
Every part of the V4 was designed to be robust and reliable. Wherever possible, components were over-spec'd. The deep-cycle cryogenic treatment improves the lifespan and performance of critical electronic components. Stainless steel, brass, aluminum, and zinc are part of the heavy-duty construction. Every Vanguard microphone is backed by a 5-year manufacturer warranty.
Vanguard runs every one of their microphones through a series of tests to ensure that they meet their standards, and they strongly feel that any pair of V4s will match each other close enough for any critical recording applications.
Vanguard designed the V4 with certain characteristics of classic FET microphones in mind, while also utilizing modern technology & design to meet the demands of today’s recording professionals. The ultra-thin 3µm edge-terminated capsule diaphragms are extraordinarily sensitive, ensuring that every nuance and detail of the performance is faithfully captured.
A number of V44S users said that they loved the clean and full character of the V44S so much as an alternative to their V13 and V1 mics, they wanted a small "mono" version of the V44S for travel purposes. The signal and power paths of the V4 are identical to a single channel of the V44S, and the extra switch space allows for an added simple -10/-20dB pad option.
The V4 is different from other microphones in its price range - it's designed and precision built in limited quantities to "no-compromise" standards.
Vanguard started with an extra-large 34mm edge-terminated, gold-sputtered Mylar dual-capsule assembly and custom-voiced it with a proprietary hand-tuning process. The capsule is mounted in an open-weave headbasket for a natural sound with low internal reflections.
Vanguard then designed a transformerless solid-state circuit that matches the unique musical properties of their capsules and loaded it with premium-grade, over-spec components sourced from manufacturers around the world, including Germany, Japan, and the USA. They deep-cycle cryogenically treat critical components in the signal & power paths, including an ultra-high-grade FET that is many times more expensive than the standard transistor you'll find in most sub-$600 microphones. As one of the most critical components in the signal path, Vanguard tested several premium-grade transistors before choosing this particular model, an American-made audiophile-grade transistor yielding results that are significant & audible improvements in audio quality, headroom, distortion, sound-stage and noise floor vs. standard-grade JFET transistors. The gen2 features US-made audio-grade resistors that yield a superbly low noise floor. Neutrik interconnects complete the signal path for the best possible sonic preservation.
- Transducer Type: Condenser
- Capsule Size: 1.34″ / 34mm (dual-capsule)
- Diaphragm Size: 1.04″ / 26.4mm
- Capsule Diaphragms Thickness: 3µm
- Electronics Type: Solid-state, electronically-balanced output
- Output Impedance: 200Ω
- Max SPL: appx. 135dB (145dB w/ Pad)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20000Hz
- Equivalent Noise Level: ≤12dBA (A-weighted)
- Sensitivity:≥82dBA (A-weighted)
- Output Connector: Neutrik male XLR 3-pin, gold-plated
- Attenuation/Pad Switch: -10dB/ -20dB (switchable)
- Finish: Polished nickel trim / High-gloss Pinot Noir
- Weight (microphone): 0.83 lbs / 0.38 kg
- Weight (in case): 5.63 lbs / 2.56 kg
- Dimensions (microphone): 8.2″ long, 2.05″ diameter / 208mm long, 52mm diameter
- Dimensions (case): 12″L x 11″W x 5.75″H / 305mmL x 280mmW x 146mmH
- Voltage Requirement: Phantom Power (+48V ideal)
- VLSM Large Shockmount
- Padded Pinewood Microphone Storage Box
- Aluminum Carrying Case
When not in use, your V4 should be stored in its padded pinewood box.