Vanguard Audio Labs V13 Gen2 Tube Condenser
Vanguard Audio Labs V13 Gen2 Tube Condenser
Inventory varies by location. Please give us a call to check stock in your preferred location!
Winter Haven: (863) 294-4216
Lakeland: (863) 686-3179
V13 GEN2 TUBE CONDENSER
The second generation Vanguard V13 is a large-diaphragm multi-pattern tube condenser microphone lovingly re-imagined by the Vanguard team. They sought to improve upon the legacy of the lauded original V13, combining smooth modern detail with vintage warmth and character. With a gen2 upgraded power supply, premium cryogenically-treated tube circuitry (including US-made audiophile-grade resistors), Neutrik Group interconnects, and a VLSM shockmount, the V13 will be your go-to microphone for vocals and instruments alike.
CAPSULE & ELECTRONICS
- Custom-voiced, edge-terminated 34mm dual-capsule assembly with gold-sputtered Mylar diaphragms
- 9 polar patterns (selectable at power supply)
- Vacuum tube analog circuitry with premium-grade components
- Hand-selected European vacuum tube
- Deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of critical signal path components
- Transformer-coupled output – humbucking, shielded, dual-bobbin transformer
- -10dB pad and low-frequency rolloff toggle switches
- Robust redesigned power supply design for ultra-low noise floor
- Open-weave headgrills for natural sound with low internal reflections
- Vanguard’s proprietary hand-tuned custom voicing
- Heavy-duty SUS304 stainless steel, aircraft-grade aluminum, and zinc construction
- Rear venting to prolong tube and component life
- Open-weave headbasket for low internal reflections and “open-air” voicing
- Each V13 comes with its own laser-engraved serial number
- Over-spec componentry
- Deep-gloss Pinot Noir finish
- Polished nickel trim
- Precision-cast Vanguard badge
- 100% Quality Control
- 5-Year Manufacturer Warranty / 90-day warranty for vacuum tube
The V13 was designed in the USA, and undergoes final assembly in sunny Southern California. Vanguard performs 100% quality control – every single microphone undergoes a series of stringent audio and visual tests before being hand-packed.
Every part of the V13 was designed to be robust and reliable. Wherever possible, components were over-specced. The deep-cycle cryogenic treatment improves the lifespan and performance of critical electronic components. Brass, stainless steel, aluminum, and zinc are part of the heavy-duty construction. Every Vanguard microphone is backed by their 5-year warranty.
Vanguard designed the V13 with the character of yesteryear's iconic vintage tube microphones in mind, while also utilizing the latest technology to ensure that every nuance and detail of the performance is faithfully captured. Vanguard specifically engineered the V13 with warm, full lows, a precise and detailed midrange, and buttery-smooth high end. The result is a microphone that unifies warmth with clarity, depth with detail, and character precision.
The V13 is particularly forgiving when it comes to vocal style and timbre. Oftentimes, microphones can be a bit choosy when it comes to how they mesh with different vocalists, but they have found that the V13 sounds great with almost any vocal complexion. Tested on both male and female vocalists in a diversity of ranges, styles, and genres, the V13 was usually the top option, despite being matched against microphones several times its cost.
One important design objective was maintaining a low noise floor - no small feat when working with vacuum tube circuitry. When tested against several $5000 European tube microphones, the V13 had the lowest noise floor by a significant margin.
After hundreds of hours of listening and testing dozens of design variations with world-class engineers, the V13 is truly a professional, world-class microphone.
The V13 is different from other microphones in its price range - it's designed and precision built in limited quantities to "no-compromise" standards.
Vanguard started with an extra-large 34mm edge-terminated, gold-sputtered Mylar dual-capsule assembly and custom-voiced it with a proprietary hand-tuning process, placing it in an open-weave headbasket for a natural sound with low internal reflections. They then designed a circuit that matches the unique musical properties of their capsules and loaded it with premium-grade, over-spec components sourced from manufacturers around the world. Critical components in the signal path are cryogenically treated, including a hand-selected European vacuum tube. The rear of the microphone has the low-frequency roll-off and -10dB pad toggle switches, where they are easily accessible to the engineer. The electronics are topped off with an ultra-linear, fully-shielded, custom-wound, dual-bobbin humbucking transformer for the output stage to drive long cable runs.
The V13 gen2 refines the lauded design of the original V13. Key upgrades include low-noise audiophile-grade resistors sourced from a US manufacturer, as well as Neutrik Group audio connectors on the microphone, power supply, and cable. These upgrades make the V13 gen2 one of the quietest tube microphones ever made. The redesigned power supply provides even more clean headroom, and sports a durable matte-black powdercoat.
Aesthetically, the precision-machined stainless steel body is coated with our signature Pinot Noir, finished with a deep, lustrous gloss, and accented by polished nickel trim and a precision-cast Vanguard badge. Machined into the rear of the microphone is a cooling vent to prolong tube life. Your V13’s serial number is laser-engraved on the lower rear of the microphone.
- Transducer Type: Condenser
- Capsule Size: 1.34″ / 34mm (dual-capsule)
- Diaphragm Size: 1.04″ / 26.4mm
- Electronics Type: Valve/Tube, Transformer-Coupled Output
- Output Impedance: 200Ω
- Max SPL: 134dB (144dB with pad)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20000Hz
- Equivalent Noise Level: ≤13dB (A-weighted)
- S/N Ratio: ≥81dB (Ref. 1Pa A-weighted)
- Sensitivity: -35dBV
- Output Connector: Male XLR 7-pin gold-plated
- High-Pass/Rolloff Switch: 125Hz (6dB/octave)
- Attenuation/Pad Switch: -10dB
- Finish: Polished nickel trim / High-gloss Pinot Noir
- Weight (microphone): 1.07 lbs / 0.48kg
- Weight (in case): 11.67 lbs / 5.29kg
- Dimensions (microphone): 8.2″ long, 2.05″ diameter / 208mm long, 52mm diameter
- Dimensions (case): 16.73″L x 12.80″W x 5.25″H / 425mmL x 325mmW x 142mmH
- Voltage Requirement: 110-240V
- PS-13 gen2 Power Supply with Neutrik audio connectors
- Padded Pinewood Microphone Box
- VLSM Large Shockmount with aerospace-grade suspension rings
- Locking Aluminum Carrying Case
- Heavy-Gauge 7-pin Microphone Cable with REAN Connectors
- Power Cable
When not in use, your V13 should be stored in its padded pinewood box with the included dessicant packet.